Stay tuned for exciting events throughout the year, designed to prepare you for the next step in your professional career. The University of Chicago Divinity School, along with the resources of the University of Chicago, are at your disposal as you plan for your future.
The Dean of Students publishes a weekly newsletter, filled with information on employment opportunities, fellowships, professionalization events, as well as key events sponsored by units throughout the University.
It's never too early to start planning your future!
The Career Services events and resources of the Divinity School and Graduate Student Affairs are designed to help you discern your interests and talents, and work with you to map a path toward your future career. From careers in the academy to public policy, from secondary school teaching, non-profit management, law, business – take time to consider what you want to do and how you will get there. The journey begins now – step by step.
For Craft of Teaching Events, click here.
WINTER QUARTER 2015
An Introduction to Multiple Job Markets: Islamic Studies after the University of Chicago
Thursday, February 19, 4:30 PM, Swift 201
This 60 minute presentation and Q/A session will introduce students in the Islamic Studies workshop to trends in academic, government, nonprofit, and corporate job markets. We’ll discuss resources available to doctoral and master’s students through Graduate Student Affairs; offer comments on how to articulate graduate student skills for diverse careers; and answer your questions about how to take next steps as a graduate student to prepare yourself for what comes after the University of Chicago.
Questions? Feel free to send them to AJ Aronstein, Associate Director of Graduate Career Development ( )
As always, pizza and drinks will be provided.
- February 27, 2015 - Syllabus Workshop, 12 noon—3 pm
Learn how to design college courses in religious studies, using your own course design for the workshop.
SPRING QUARTER 2015
- PhD Skills Identification and Alumni Panel - TBD
- Learn how to translate your PhD education into many non-academic professions. Share with PhD alumni who are successfully pursuing careers beyond the academy.
PAST EVENTS – some of these events are recurring, so look for them to appear again next year.
- "Mock" AAR interviews - Thursday, November 13, 2014 - 4:30 pm
- Have a conference interview scheduled at the AAR/SBL? Practice your interviewing skills with a faculty panel, and learn as you watch fellow students in their own mock interviews.
- Divinity School Career Night - Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 4:30 pm
- Learn how to identify your strengths and see how your Divinity School education can translate to a number of career opportunities. Ask questions of Divinity School alumni who are pursuing a wide range of professions. Open to students in all degree programs.
- January 7, 2015 - 4:30 pm - Swift Common - Practice Job Talk - Stephanie Frank (PhD candidate in History of Religions)
- MDiv Skills Identification and Alumni panel - TBD
- Learn how your MDiv education and skills can be leveraged toward a variety of professions, including emergent forms of ministry. Hear from MDvi alumni who are pursuing careers in ministry, non-profit management, social justice and many other fields.