Stay tuned for exciting events throughout the year, designed to prepare you for the next step in your professional career. The University of Chicago Divinity School, along with the resources of the University of Chicago, are at your disposal as you plan for your future.
The Dean of Students publishes a weekly newsletter, filled with information on employment opportunities, fellowships, professionalization events, as well as key events sponsored by units throughout the University. You won't want to miss a single issue!
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 2014 - 4:00 - 5:30 PM - CV and Cover Letter Workshop
Join advisors from Graduate Student Affairs, along with Deans Mitchell and Owens, in a discussion about how an effective cover letters and curriculum vitae can present your training, experience and research to best advantage, making the case that you are the best candidate for a position. Feel free to bring your current CV for discussion purposes.
Careers in the Academy: Visiting Chicago-Area Institutions
Many Divinity School PhD students teach in Chicago-area institutions as part of their pedagogical development. Take advantage of this opportunity to visit these institutions. This event is sponsored by the Chicago Center for Teaching. Click on the ad below for more information.
For Craft of Teaching Events, click here.
AUTUMN QUARTER 2014
- Divinity Fall Career Night - Thursday, November 6, 2014 - location TBA
- "Mock" AAR interviews - Thursday, November 13, 2014 - 4:30 pm
- Have a conference interview scheduled at the AAR/SBL? Practice your interviewing skills with a faculty panel, and learn as you watch fellow students in their own mock interviews.
- MA students - Skills identification and alumni panel - TBD
- Learn how to identify your strengths and see how your MA education can translate to a number of career opportunities. Ask questions of MA alumni who are pursuing a wide range of professions.
WINTER QUARTER 2015
- January 14, 2015 - Job Talk Day - throughout the day
- An opportunity to practice the lecture you will give during on-campus job interviews. Receive valuable feedback from faculty and colleagues on both your argument and your presentation.
February 27, 2015 - Syllabus Workshop, 12 noon—3 pm
Learn how to design college courses in religious studies, using your own course design for the workshop.
- MDiv Skills Identification and Alumni panel - TBD
- Learn how your MDiv education and skills can be leveraged toward a variety of professions, including emergent forms of ministry. Hear from MDvi alumni who are pursuing careers in ministry, non-profit management, social justice and many other fields.
SPRING QUARTER 2015
- PhD Skills Identification and Alumni Panel - TBD
- Learn how to translate your PhD education into many non-academic professions. Share with PhD alumni who are successfully pursuing careers beyond the academy.