Stay tuned for exciting events throughout the year, designed to prepare you for the next step in your professional career. The University of Chicago Divinity School, along with the resources of the University of Chicago, are at your disposal as you plan for your future.
The Dean of Students publishes a weekly newsletter, filled with information on employment opportunities, fellowships, professionalization events, as well as key events sponsored by UChicagoGrad and other units throughout the University.
It's never too early to start planning your future!
The Career Services events and resources of the Divinity School and Graduate Student Affairs are designed to help you discern your interests and talents, and work with you to map a path toward your future career. From careers in the academy to public policy, from secondary school teaching, non-profit management, law, business – take time to consider what you want to do and how you will get there. The journey begins now – step by step.
CV and Cover Letter Workshop
Thursday, September 10, 2015 - Location TBD - Brown bag lunch
Learn how to write effective cover letters that introduce you at your best for any job opportunity. This workshop will give you important guidance on writing cover letters, and presenting your experience and research in the curriculum vitate. It is never too soon to develop these important documents. Bring your lunch; beverages will be provided.
For Craft of Teaching Events, click here.
A sampling of past events....look for updates as the 2015-16 academic year approaches!
An Introduction to Multiple Job Markets: Islamic Studies after the University of Chicago
This 60 minute presentation and Q/A session will introduce students in the Islamic Studies workshop to trends in academic, government, nonprofit, and corporate job markets. We’ll discuss resources available to doctoral and master’s students through Graduate Student Affairs; offer comments on how to articulate graduate student skills for diverse careers; and answer your questions about how to take next steps as a graduate student to prepare yourself for what comes after the University of Chicago.
Questions? Feel free to send them to AJ Aronstein, Associate Director of Graduate Career Development ( )
As always, pizza and drinks will be provided.
Learn how to design college courses in religious studies, using your own course design for the workshop.
- PhD Skills Identification and Alumni Panel
- Learn how to translate your PhD education into many non-academic professions. Share with PhD alumni who are successfully pursuing careers beyond the academy.
- "Mock" AAR interviews
- Have a conference interview scheduled at the AAR/SBL? Practice your interviewing skills with a faculty panel, and learn as you watch fellow students in their own mock interviews.
- Divinity School Career Night .
- Learn how your Divinity School education can translate to a number of career opportunities. Ask questions of Divinity School alumni who are pursuing a wide range of professions. Open to students in all degree programs.
- MDiv Skills Identification and Alumni panel
- Learn how your MDiv education and skills can be leveraged toward a variety of professions, including emergent forms of ministry. Hear from MDvi alumni who are pursuing careers in ministry, non-profit management, social justice and many other fields.
- PhD Practice Job Talks
- PhD students deliver their lectures in preparation for on-campus interviews before a group of faculty and students. The format is intentionally structured according to the anticipated campus visit. The lecturers will receive feedback on their lecture content, delivery, handouts/slides, and their handling of questions and discussion.