FAQ - Scholarship and Financial Aid for Master's Students

Where is the application for financial/scholarship aid?

There is no separate Divinity School application for scholarship aid. Students need only request consideration for aid on the main application (see the Financial Data section of the application). All Divinity School scholarship aid awards are merit-, rather than need-, based, so the details one might normally include on a separate application (e.g. income, parents’/guardians’ income, tax information) are extraneous to the aid awards that the School offers. (See below for information on applying for loans and work study, which does require this type of information via the Free Application for Federal Student Aid [FAFSA].)


What kind of scholarship aid is available to master's students?

In general, Divinity School scholarship aid ranges from partial tuition awards to awards that include full tuition and a stipend. For a fuller accounting of available awards, see the program-specific tabbed boxes on our Divinity School Aid page.


How will I know if I’ve received a Divinity School aid award?

The Divinity School extends scholarship aid offers at the same time that it extends offers of admission. If you’ve been admitted to a master’s level program and have been made an offer of scholarship aid, information about this will be included in your admission letter.


I’ve received my Divinity School scholarship aid award letter, but when will I receive notification about my total aid package?

The offer of scholarship aid in your Divinity School aid award letter represents the total offer of School-specific, merit-based aid. The Divinity School will share your scholarship aid award information with the University's office of Graduate Financial Aid (GFA), and GFA will use it and the information you provide on the FAFSA to determine your federal loan and work-study eligibility. For more information about loan and work-study procedures, please consult the Graduate Financial Aid website. Do note that the University cannot specify your loan eligibility until your FAFSA is on file, so you should file as soon as the FAFSA is available (October 1). The University's institutional code for the FAFSA is 001774.


Where can I go to learn more about external sources of graduate school funding?

Visit our dedicated page on External Scholarship Aid, and be sure also to search UChicagoGRAD's Fellowships Database. Note that you should plan to be applying for external scholarship and fellowships before or at the same time you are applying for admission to the School, as most deadlines are in the summer and fall of the application year (e.g., an August 15 deadline for an aid award disbursed beginning the following August or September).


Can I apply for a teaching or research assistantship to help defray the costs of attendance?

While it is common practice for many graduate programs, especially direct-entry PhD programs, to include assistantships as part of a financial aid offer, this is not a routinized feature of the Divinity School’s aid package at the master’s level. All research and teaching assistantships are assigned through a competitive application process that is specific to each position, and it is uncommon for early master’s students, in particular, to win these—in part because there are more graduate than undergraduate students at the University of Chicago. The case is not simply a matter of numbers, however: the University and the Divinity School have institutional commitments to expert instruction by faculty and, in limited cases, advanced doctoral students. One should not expect, for example, to have primary responsibility for a course at the University (or at the many postsecondary institutions in the region) until one has reached PhD candidacy through the successful completion of qualifying examinations and the dissertation proposal colloquium.