FAQ - International Applicants

I read that applicants to the Divinity School must have the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree (for master's level applications) or of a U.S. master's degree (for doctoral students) in order to be eligible to apply. How can I discern whether my educational background is sufficient?

The Divinity School offers general guidelines on eligibility for applicants on our Information for International Applicants page (see the tab marked "Academic Records"). In some cases we will refer you to a credential review and certification agency, but students who are unsure should contact us at divinityadmissions@uchicago.edu.


Must international applicants submit scores for both the GRE and the TOEFL (or IELTS)?

No. International applicants should submit scores for either the GRE or the TOEFL (or IELTS) according to the guidelines in the online application's instructions. If after consulting these instructions you are unsure how to proceed, please contact us at divinityadmissions@uchicago.edu. For more information on score requirements for the TOEFL and IELTS, also visit our FAQ page on The Application Process.


How else is the application process different for international applicants?

Beyond the notes about academic records and test scores, the initial application process is much the same. Admitted international students will complete a secondary process in the service of obtaining a visa. Among other things, admitted international students will provide a copy of their passport and will be asked to demonstrate adequate financial resources for the full term of study in the United States. The Office of International Affairs maintains good information on these matters for prospective and admitted international students, and you can find that information here


Are international students eligible for Divinity School scholarship aid?

Yes. The scholarship aid that the Divinity School awards is not tied to citizenship status. 


Are international students eligible for loan and work study aid through the University of Chicago?

Unfortunately, no: federal loans and work study aid are restricted to U.S. citizens. The UChicagoGRAD's Fellowship Database, though, allows one to search for fellowships that are not tied to citizenship status, and the Office of International Affairs has a dedicated page for International Student Funding Options.


Moving to the United States for graduate study seems like a huge (and potentially overwhelming) undertaking. Is there someone I can talk to about their experience in making the transition from a context like my own?

Here again, the Office of International Affairs is a great resource. They maintain a database of contact information for current students and alumni clubs from many countries. You can find that information here, toward the bottom of the page.