The Joseph Bond Chapel, joined to Swift Hall by a cloister, is a gem of a space off the main quadrangle of the University which is used for a variety of performance, ceremonial and worship events for the entire University community.
Southwest of Swift Hall and connected to it by a beautiful stone cloister is the Joseph Bond Chapel. Both Swift Hall and Bond Chapel were designed by the architects Coolidge and Hodgdon at the end of the Gothic revival period in America. The Chapel was given by Mrs. Joseph Bond in memory of her husband, a former Trustee of the Baptist Theological Union, the predecessor institution of the Divinity School. Mr. and Mrs. Bond's daughter, Elfleda, married Edgar J. Goodspeed, a member of the university faculty noted for his translation of the New Testament. After her death in 1949, Mr. Goodspeed donated the stained-glass windows in her memory.The cornerstone of the chapel was laid by Mrs. Bond on April 30, 1925, and the chapel was opened in October, 1926.
The Chapel was extensively renovated in 2012-2013. The renovation was recognized with an award from the American Institute of Architects Chicago chapter. Read more here.
As a university chapel, it serves as the location for a wide variety of spiritual and ceremonial events, and also for performing arts events. The Divinity School uses it for weekly reflective gatherings on Tuesdays at noon, for Convocation, and for ceremonial occasions. It is used extensively for weddings, funerals, gatherings by members of the different religious traditions represented at the university, and for concerts. The Reneker organ, a fine baroque tracker organ placed in the chapel in 2012, makes it a destination for baroque and early music, but it is also a valued space for many other kinds of musical performance. It seats about 150 persons.
All the main aspects of the Bond Chapel—its location, architecture, inscriptions, furnishings and stained glass—serve to mark its place (both physically and symbolically) within the University. Please read more about the interior of the Chapel.
The Chapel is open every weekday, and all members of the University community are warmly invited to stop in to Bond Chapel at any time when it is not in use for an event.
To enquire about booking events at Bond Chapel, please contact Matthew Dean, Director of Chapel Operations, at .
If you are considering holding your wedding at Bond Chapel, please see http://rockefeller.uchicago.edu/contact/weddings for further information.
During weeks when classes are in session (Autumn, Winter, and Spring quarters) all are welcome to join a brief worship service held Tuesdays in Bond Chapel at noon, planned by a student-led worship committee. These services offer hospitable space and a welcoming community in which to pause, reflect, wonder, and pray.
The Reneker Memorial Organ was dedicated in 1984 in honor of the late Robert W. Reneker and Betty C. Reneker, and was moved to Bond Chapel in the autumn of 2012.
It was officially installed in Bond Chapel on February 2, 2013. For more information about the Reneker organ please visit http://rockefeller.uchicago.edu/the-organs/reneker-organ
Click here for a PDF of the program from the 2012 Installation.