International Students

I read that applicants to the Divinity School must have the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree (for master’s level applications) or of a U.S. master’s degree (for doctoral students) in order to be eligible to apply. How do I know whether my educational background is sufficient?

The Divinity School offers general guidelines on eligibility for applicants on our Information for International Applicants page.

Can international students receive a waiver for the English Language Requirements?

Please visit this webpage for comprehensive information on the University's English Language Requirements:

Must international applicants submit scores for both the GRE and the TOEFL (or IELTS)?

Applicants not eligible for a waiver of the proof of English Language proficiency requirement must submit TOEFL or IELTS. This is an addition to GRE scores, if required for the program to which they are applying.

What are the minimum score requirements for the TOEFL and IELTS? 

Please see this webpage for minimum required scores:

How long are TOEFL and IELTS scores valid?

The Divinity School accepts TOEFL and IELTS scores that are no more than two (2) years old on the date of the degree program’s application deadline.

How else is the application process different for international applicants?

Beyond the notes about academic records and test scores, the initial application process is the same. Admitted international students will complete a secondary process in the service of obtaining a visa. Among other things, admitted international students will provide a copy of their passport and will be asked to demonstrate adequate financial resources for the full term of study in the United States. The Office of International Affairs will work with you to submit these documents in a timely manner.

Are international students eligible for Divinity School scholarship aid?

Yes. Scholarship eligibility is not based on citizenship status. 

Are international students eligible for loan and work study aid through the University of Chicago?

International students may not apply for federal aid through the US Department of Education. International students are encouraged to search for fellowships through the UChicagoGRAD’s Fellowship Database. The Office of International Affairs has a dedicated page for International Student Funding Options.

What resources are available for international students at the University? 

The Office of International Affairs is a great resource. They maintain a database of contact information for current students and alumni clubs from many countries. You can find that information here, toward the bottom of the page.