The University of Chicago Divinity School, along with the resources of the University of Chicago, are at your disposal as you plan for your future. We hold events throughout the year designed to prepare you for the next step in your professional career.
Career Services events and resources are designed to help you discern your interests and talents, and work with you to map a path toward your future career. From careers in the academy to public policy, from secondary school teaching, non-profit management, law, business – take time to consider what you want to do and how you will get there. The journey begins now – step by step.
The Dean of Students publishes a weekly newsletter for Divinity School students, filled with information on employment opportunities, fellowships, professionalization events, as well as key events sponsored by UChicagoGrad and other units throughout the University.
Mock interviews and job talks can be scheduled with the Dean of Students. You will benefit from feedback from faculty as well as the student audience.
The Craft of Teaching in the Academic Study of Religion, the Divinity School's unique pedagogical curriculum, offers a year-round program of seminars and workshops, sustaining a vigorous conversation on religious studies pedagogy both within and across all the Divinity School.
National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity
The University has purchased an institutional membership to the National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity. The membership provides faculty, postdocs, and graduate students with access to hundreds of resources designed to support their success in their academic careers. Anyone with a university email address is eligible for membership. To register, simply visit the website at the following link and choose “Institutional Sub-Account” as your membership type: https://facultydiversity.site-ym.com/general/pick_username.asp.
Graduate students and postdocs can become NCFDD members by claiming institutional membership online with the University of Chicago via the following link: https://facultydiversity.site-ym.com/page/registration.
These or similar events are held throughout the academic year.
- Syllabus Workshop
- Learn how to design college courses in religious studies, using your own course design for the workshop.
- PhD Skills Identification and Alumni Panel
- Learn how to translate your PhD education into many non-academic professions. Share with PhD alumni who are successfully pursuing careers beyond the academy.
- "Mock" AAR interviews
- Have a conference interview scheduled at the AAR/SBL? Practice your interviewing skills with a faculty panel, and learn as you watch fellow students in their own mock interviews.
- Divinity School Career Night
- Learn how your Divinity School education can translate to a number of career opportunities. Ask questions of Divinity School alumni who are pursuing a wide range of professions. Open to students in all degree programs.
- MDiv Skills Identification and Alumni panel
- Learn how your MDiv education and skills can be leveraged toward a variety of professions, including emergent forms of ministry. Hear from MDvi alumni who are pursuing careers in ministry, non-profit management, social justice and many other fields.
- PhD Practice Job Talks
- PhD students deliver their lectures in preparation for on-campus interviews before a group of faculty and students. The format is intentionally structured according to the anticipated campus visit. The lecturers will receive feedback on their lecture content, delivery, handouts/slides, and their handling of questions and discussion.